Vegan Chickpeas and Dumplings
Time for a confession. I used to love chicken and dumplings. From a can. The thought horrifies me now but it used to be one of my favorite lunches.
While I wouldn’t think of eating it now I still love the flavors and coziness of chicken and dumplings. In this vegetarian version I used chickpeas instead of chicken but you could use something like Gardein if you prefer. I like the chickpeas because they are inexpensive and not processed.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15 oz can
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small zucchini or yellow squash, sliced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
For the dumplings
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain almond or soy milk
- 1-2 Tbs chopped rosemary
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, zucchini, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened.
- Add the thyme, sage, and garlic powder.
- Add the broth and the chickpeas.
- Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutues.
- In a medium bowl mix together the ingredients for the dumplings. Drop a tablespoon full at a time into the broth mixture. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
Adapted from Cooking Light One Dish Meals
Copyright Thrifty Veggie Mama