Pumpkin Apple Muffins
I am in love with these muffins. I think they are quite possibly the best muffins I have ever made. The idea of combining apple and pumpkin came from Megan’s post. Muffins are really great for the kids’ snacks and for lunch boxes so I almost always have some kind of muffin on hand. I have made pumpkin muffins and apple muffins but never combined them.
I looked at Megan’s recipe and also a recipe from Babycakes to come up with this recipe. This recipe uses whole wheat flour, maple syrup for the sweetener, and is egg and dairy free. The result is a super moist muffin bursting with fall flavor.
I think I’ll be making another batch this week.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup almond, soy, or rice milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Earth Balance
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil, maple syrup, milk, pumpkin, and vanilla to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the hot water and the apples until evenly distributed.
- Spoon batter into muffins tins.
- Mix together ingredients for streusel topping and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
Copyright Thrifty Veggie Mama