Cherry Almond Muffins
I have been eyeing the cherries at the grocery store for about the past month. I couldn’t bring myself to buy them for $4.99 a pound. Last week they were $2.99 a pound and I picked up a bag. My mind was already racing with the delicious things I could make with them. But those ideas never came to fruition as 2 little blonds devoured the cherries within 2 days.
Yesterday I grabbed another bag and made sure to hide them in the fridge until I could whip up something with them. And oh boy did I whip up something good!
I really like to have some type of muffin around the house for snacks, and hubby likes to take them in his lunch. Since I was harboring some fine cherries in the fridge I thought why not make cherry almond muffins.
Why not indeed?! These muffins turned out fantastic with a moist center and a crusty top. Cherry and almond were just made to be together. Like Leo and Kate but not Kim and Kris.
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 6 Tbs water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the flaxseed and the water in a small dish and set aside.
- Combine the coconut oil and the sugar in a medium mixing bowl and mix well. Stir in the vanilla extract and the flaxseed mixture.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine.
- Fold in the cherries and the almonds.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. Sprinkle with a few more almonds and a little sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Copyright Thrifty Veggie Mama