A couple weeks ago I picked a ton of tomatoes from our garden. When I was planning the menu my husband requested BLTs. Before becoming vegetarian we loved BLT sandwiches. I had actually forgotten about them until my husband mentioned them.
His request got me thinking. I had seen recipes for tofu made from tempeh but my husband isn’t crazy about the taste of tempeh. So, I wondered if I could make a suitable bacon replacement using tofu. This recipe is what I came up with and I am very happy with the results. My husband gave it his seal of approval as well.
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 T maple syrup
- a dash of Liquid Smoke
- Fresh ground pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- Slice the tofu very thin, as thin as you can without it breaking. This is key!
- Mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, and liquid smoke.
- Brush a little of the marinade on the tofu and let sit for a few minutes. Reserve the extra.
- Heat about 1 tsp oil in a large skillet.
- Place tofu in skillet and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
- Cook tofu until well browned and crispy on both sides.
- Place on plate lined with paper towels.
- Use like you would any bacon!