Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake
[donotprint]Based on this recipe this dish is cold weather comfort food and a nice change from lasagna. Plus it has veggies in it! It comes together pretty quickly and would freeze well. The kids gobbled it up and hubby liked it too! (When I told him what we were having for dinner he was not excited!)[/donotprint]
Carnivore Rating: 3.5/5
Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake1 12 -14 oz package frozen cauliflower, thawed 2 10 oz packages frozen broccoli, thawed 1/4 cup flour 4 T butter
2 cups milk ( I used soymilk) 2 cups Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese
1 cup cottage cheese (Recipe calls for ricotta cheese but cottage cheese was on sale!) 1 T olive oil 2 tsp dried basil 1 tsp dried rosemary black pepper 1.5 cups spaghetti sauce (I used homemade red sauce which I will share the recipe for next week!) 1-2 cups bread crumbs (Make homemade bread crumbs by saving the heels from your bread and pulsing them in the food processor with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning.)
- Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and keep stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Add the veggies to the sauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, olive oil, and seasonings.
- In a 3 qt casserole dish spread the cottage cheese mixture, then the veggies/white sauce.
- Top with the spaghetti sauce and the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- To Freeze: Place in foil deep dish pan and cover. When ready to use, thaw and bake as directed above. Bake for 40-50 minutes if still frozen.