Barbecue Red Bean Burgers
[donotprint]This is a super thrifty meal and it was delicious! The burgers came together really easily and I served them with a side of homemade steak fries! I found whole wheat buns on manager special for $.99 a few weeks ago so I had those in the freezer. If you shop at Kroger make sure you check out the bread section for great manager specials. You can always freeze the bread until you need it. A tip for homemade bread crumbs, I save the heel from the loaf of bread and keep them in a bag in the freezer. When I need bread crumbs I just take some out and pulse them in the food processor. Bread crumbs for free since I would have just thrown out the heel anyway![/donotprint]
Barbecue Red Bean Burgers with Homemade Steak Fries (Based on this recipe)1/2 onion, minced 1 clove garlic, minced 1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped 2 tsp chili powder 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1/2 cup bread crumbs 1 egg 2 T barbecue sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a couple swirls of olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, jalapeno, and chili powder. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Place the kidney beans in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Add the onion mixture, bread, crumbs, egg, and barbecue sauce.
- Mix well. Form into patties.
- Place a little more oil in the skillet and brown the patties on both sides.
Serve on whole wheat buns with lettuce, tomato, barbecue sauce and cheese if desired.
Cut 5 medium potatoes into thin wedges. Toss with 1 T olive oil, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, and 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning. Bake in 500 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
Enjoy the new feature! Print Grocery List