How to make homemade laundry detergent
One way to save some money around the house is to make your own laundry detergent. I tried this once before with a powdered variety and wasn’t that happy with the results. My whites didn’t seem to be as white. But recently I came across a recipe from A Sonoma Garden for liquid detergent so I decided to give it a try again.
Here’s what you need to make about 2 Gallons of detergent.
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, add the grated soap.
- Stir until the soap is dissolved. Add the Borax and the washing soda. Stir until dissolved and then remove from the heat.
- Add an additional 4 cups of hot water.
- Pour 11 cups of water into each gallon container
- Add half of the soap mixture.
- Add 20-30 drops of essential oil to each container if desired. Next time I plan on using lavender essential oil but I was all out.
Let sit for 24 hours, stirring now and then to break up the solids. The mixture is not smooth, don’t worry; it should still work fine.
Use 1/2 c in each load of laundry. I have an old detergent scoop that I am going to use to pour the homemade detergent into.
I was able to find all the ingredients at my usual Kroger store and it cost less than $9 for everything needed.
This was very simple to make and took less than 15 minutes. I plan on doing a stain test using this versus the Method detergent I have now. I will let you know the results!