I love, love, love this meal! If I had to choose one meal to eat the rest of my life this would be the one. It is simple, easy to customize to appease picky eaters, can easily be made vegan, and can feed one or a crowd. Basically, haystacks are a build-your-own taco salad.
- Tortilla chips of some kind-Chili Cheese Fritos and Nacho Cheese Doritos are really good but I usually get whatever is cheapest at the store
- Cooked beans-I like to use leftover chili but you could use refried beans, black beans, chili beans, whatever! Just add some seasonings to taste
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Various Veggies such as lettuce, tomato, onions, peppers, olives,
- Salsa or taco sauce
- Guacamole, if desired (But I can't imagine who wouldn't want guacamole!)
- Then you build your haystack.
- There really is no right or wrong way to do it but I like to do chips on the bottom, followed by the beans, and then the cheese (so the cheese melts a little), then the veggies. Everyone gets to pick what they want. You can do it any way you like and also experiment with different toppings. Enjoy!!
Copyright Thrifty Veggie Mama
Here is a pic of what we used for ours this time