Falafel is another family favorite of ours. I usually cook up a big batch of dry chickpeas and freeze them in 2 cup portions so I always have them ready to make falafel. I also made homemade whole wheat pita pockets last week so this made for a very economical meal as well. The last time I made falafel I doubled the batter and froze half. To make last night’s meal I just thawed the falafel and the pita pocket! How easy is that!
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15 oz can
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c minced onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pulse together the chickpeas, bread, and egg leaving some of the chickpeas whole.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add about 2 T oil.
- Form the batter into patties and add to the hot pan. Make sure the pan is hot before you add the patties.
- Cook until browned on both sides.
- Serve the falafel with lettuce, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and hummus. We usually stuff everything inside the pita pocket.
Copyright Thrifty Veggie Mama